Hawkins' Pond, nearly 10 acres in extent, and its system of streams are the most prominent features of this 75 acre site. There are also areas of mature pine forest, with some exceeding 75 feet in height. At the upper (northeast) end of the pond, there are extensive wetlands which support an impressive variety of plant species. Below the spillway are numerous natural seeps which have been enhanced by the impounding of the pond to a depth exceeding 22 feet. These seeps cause local variation in the habitat for both plants and animals within a relatively small area, and they support a diversity of ferns and flowering plants which bloom in succession from early spring well into the summer.
The pond features an abundance of fish and water fowl, and its environs are frequented by deer, fox, coyotes, porcupines, raccoons, otters, muskrats, woodchucks, and opossum. Pheasant and partridge are present, and wild turkey thrive at the pond.
Beginning around 1750, the water provided by the pond powered a sawmill. In 1873 a cotton mill was erected on the property. Succeeding years saw the pond used to power a woodworking mill and, again, a sawmill. Around 1924, Walter A. Hawkins, a self-educated mechanic, fashioned a generator and electrical system, and generated electricity for the area until 1936.
There are no marked or maintained trails on this property. Please be aware that archery and crossbow hunting is permitted on the Hawkins Pond property. Click here for hunting regulations.
Please follow the rules and regulations of the Glocester Land Trust while visiting this property.
*Fishing is permitted at Hawkins Pond exclusively among land trust properties
Directions: Head west on Route 44 and continue approximately 6 miles from northern junction of Routes 44 and 102 in Chepachet; parking area is on the right after Pulaski Road (before the CT state line).
West Glocester, RI